Can You Appeal a Court-Martial

Click to Call 253-317-8494

Military court martial convictions are able to be appealed. Depending upon the sentence that is announced in your case, there would be two separate avenues for appeal. If the sentence includes a punitive discharge, meaning a bad conduct discharge, or a dishonorable discharge, or if you receive an excess of six months in confinement, so 181 days or more, you have an automatic appeal that goes to the intermediary military criminal court of appeals for your particular branch. Each one is separate. For the army, the Navy Marine Corps has one together, the Air Force has another, and the Coast Guard has its own. From there, the appeals may run directly to the court of appeals for the Armed Forces, which is sort of the equivalent for The Supreme Court for military case decisions. And finally, your case could theoretically be reviewed by The United States Supreme Court. They review all cases and have the ability to review cases that come out of military appellate courts as well.

You Might Also Like These Articles

How To Fight Administrative Separation

On any given day in the U.S. Armed Forces, multiple servicemembers will get written notice from their unit telling them that they are getting kicked ... Read more

Court Martial Bloopers Part 2

Court martial bloopers part two. I hope you guys are liking this because I am. Okay, so this one is from Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, circa around 2012.

Understanding The Consequences Of An Administrative Separation For Misconduct

Officially, the military’s method of formally prosecuting misconduct (and “kicking out” those who commit it) is through a court-martial or military trial. What many don’t ... Read more